disclaimer: this post may contain affiliate links.
When I think “shamrock”, I think “McDonalds”. I know what you’re thinking – ME TOO!! Because surely I’m not the only one who made the yearly pilgrimage to get their Shamrock Shake?! Now it’s a whole other ballgame though. The thought of corn syrup, additives, not to mention the little problem of all that dairy, and I am steering clear my friends! But I still crave something peppermint-y, something fun, something GREEN, this time of year. And I am definitely also a huge matcha fan. So I combined the two into a Shamrock MATCHA Smoothie!! Not only is this version of the “shake” good for you, it will give you a long-lasting energy boost!
Let’s talk about the health benefits in here:
Spinach: The A and C vitamins in this bad boy help us absorb collagen better, which means healthier skin, hair and nails! Spinach is also a fabulous source of iron and calcium. Getting calcium is especially important for those of us who are avoiding dairy, which is why dark leafy greens become even more valuable!
Matcha: I’ll be throwing around some buzzwords here, so get ready. Matcha is hailed as a super food, and for good reason! The presence of the amino acid L-Theanine, matcha delivers a calmness that helps to balance its energy (read: no coffee jitters here). Matcha also contains antioxidants, which are way more than a buzzword! We need all the help we can get slowing or diminishing the oxidation process (which is a normal part of aging but we are more susceptible today than ever because of our environment, food, etc.) Matcha comes to the rescue here, delivering more antioxidants than dark chocolate, goji berries and blueberries combined!
On it’s own this Shamrock Matcha Smoothie will be delicious, but there are some additional ingredients you can add to customize!
Other Ingredients and Optional Add-Ins:
- Collagen peptides – Vital Proteins is always my go-go
- Cacao or carob nibs (pictured)
- Food-grade peppermint oil – this you’ll want to include for that minty taste (unless you opt for mint leaves)
- 3 Tbsp Mint leaves (optional – I just used a few drops of essential oil but the leaves will add additional dimension and flavor)
This Shamrock Matcha Smoothie is a fun way to get your Irish on! Make a batch for your party, give to the kiddos (my daughter unfortunately is not a mint fan so we skipped this one – I totally LOVE it though)!
If you make it, don’t forget to #letscreatethesweetlife!
Shamrock Matcha Smoothie
A delicious way to enjoy a shamrock drink, loaded with good-for-you ingredients!
- 1 cup almond milk (substitute coconut for AIP)
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 banana (either frozen or fresh - I prefer fresh because I actually do not like super cold drinks!)
- 1/2-1 tsp matcha
- 2-3 drops peppermint oil food grade
- 3 Tbsp mint leaves (optional)
- 1 tsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 Tbsp carob or cocoa nibs (optional)
- 2 Tbsp collagen (optional)
Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Garnish with additional carob or cacao nibs or mint. Drink immediately. Enjoy!